Laurent Saillard Lucky You! 2021

£25.00
(No reviews yet) Write a Review
Gift wrapping:
Options available
Shipping:
Calculated at Checkout
REGION:
Touraine, Loire, France
GRAPES:
Chardonnay & Sauvignon Blanc
VINEYARD:
Organic & Biodynamic
CELLAR:
Fermented with native yeasts, unfiltered & unfined, minimal additional sulphites
Adding to cart… The item has been added

2021 was a tough vintage for Laurent - a whopping 90% of his annual yield was lost at Clos Roche Blanche as he was blighted by every possible elemental force going. Frost and hail can change one's fortune on a dime. Lucky You this year is the only white wine he made from his own vines, with the remaining 10% of fruit. Obviously this means the quantities are a fraction of what we've enjoyed in the past. This vintage the name of the wine takes on an element of black humour!

Despite all that, whilst somewhat different in style the wine still bears Laurent's signature style - vital, punchy, immediate - and will keep long-time followers more than happy. Rather than selecting the blend percentages, this year it was more dictated by the fruit left to work with. As such, it is mainly Chardonnay this time. As ever, there is a touch of the tropical, some creamy texture and lingering line of zippy acidity.

Laurent spent a lot of time in New York earlier in his life, managing at Balthazar and starting one of the first natural wine bars in New York, Ici. Eventually he decided to try his hand at producing the wines he had fallen in love with and moved to the Loire valley working with other producers like Noella Morantin, making his own wines on the side and eventually purchasing half of the historic and beautiful Clos Roche Blanche vineyard, farmed organically beforehand by Catherine & Didier Barouillet who still live in the house on site. Through this time he has retained a presence in New York through his wines, even doing an exclusive cuvee for ex-Balthazar head chefs Riad Nasr & Lee Hanson's new spot Frenchette. Fortunately he did save some wine for the UK and we have a few different bottles from his 2018 vintage.